Local search is where it is at for service related companies. Whether your service is landscaping, roofing, dry-cleaning or computer support, it only makes sense that you would do most if not all of your business in and around your local community.
So how does local search work? While it can be quite complex to get your site listed high in the local listings, the basics are simple and sometimes that is enough.
Let’s use Google since they account for 84.72% of all search engine usage worldwide.
- First go to http://www.google.com/maps and in the search bar, type in the name of your company. If nothing comes up, type in your address.
- When you see your listing (there should only be one – if there are more, that’s a topic for another day) click on more info. Along the top on the right you’ll see a link that says “Business Owner?”. Click on that link and claim your listing.
- If it says “Owner-verified listing” then someone from your company has already claimed the listing. You’ll need to talk to them to get more information.
- If you don’t have a Google account, it only takes a few minutes to create a verify one. Do this and come back to the maps. If you already have a Google account, then login.
- Now you’re ready to enter your company information. The more info you enter, the better your chances of being listed.
- Put in your complete address and ALL of your contact information.
- Choose two or more categories for your business.
- Enter your hours of operation as appropriate and check off the types of payment you accept.
- Upload a couple of pictures – of you, of the outside of your place of business, of the inside, etc.
- Upload a video or two. These don’t have to be professionally shot. Just practice a few times and take the best one you have. Introduce people to your business.
- Enter some additional details and click on Submit.
- The first time you do this, you will be asked to select whether Google should call you or mail you. Select call and be prepared to enter the PIN number they’ll give you on the phone as soon as you click Finish. Then within a day or two your listing will be eligible to begin appearing.
There are lots of things you can do to enhance your local listing such as:
- Upload more pictures
- Upload more videos
- Add / Create fields for Additional Details
- Add as many categories as you can think of for your listing
- Try the free trial of Google Tags
- Update your status
- Create a coupon