We talk to lots of business owners who see the value in having social media accounts with Facebook and LinkedIn but who simply don’t see the value in having a Twitter account and doing goofy things like Tweeting or ReTweeting.
According to a recent eMarketer report, there are lots of reasons that businesses should embrace Twitter as a marketing tool. First they project nearly 50% growth in Twitter users this year – to a total of 26 million users and by 2012 that number is projected to be 36 million. And those are just the US Adult numbers. All total, Twitter has 106 million registered users.
In another eMarketer report, we learn that B2C (business to consumer) businesses that use Twitter get a MUCH better return on their marketing. For example with businesses of 1 to 10 employees, the number of leads Twitter users generated as compared to non-Twitter users was 100% more. A company not using Twitter would generate 5 leads. A similar company using Twitter would generate 10 leads.
Simple math suggests that if you can double your leads using Twitter, why wouldn’t you?
Other reasons to use Twitter:
- Twitter recently signed agreements with Google and Bing to include real time tweets in their search results. So if you send a tweet with a link to your site, you’re getting more links back to your site – more opportunities for customers to find you.
- Once you have a plan in place, sending out tweets and interacting with your followers doesn’t take a lot of time.
- You can monitor your brand (company name, personal name) so that if you’re mentioned, you can respond.
- You can “eavesdrop” on your competitors to see what they’re doing
- You can network with key partners and vendors without having to make lengthy phone calls or meet in person.
So what are you waiting for? Visit www.twitter.com and get started.